6/17/11

Beats and Beer Friday

The weekend is upon us, which means it's that time again: BEATS AND BEER FRIDAY!

Forget the introduction, let's get right to the chase:

Beats: Kato - T.I.M.E. Vol. 3 Mixtape

Since I first heard Jarren Benton's "Justin Bieber", Kato (aka Christopher Ju) is quickly becoming one of my favorite hip-hop producers. He's got a sound that I can best describe as Southern Space Age. His collaboration with Benton led me to seek out more of his music, and the other day I came across his newest release, T.I.M.E. Volume 3.

The mixture features Kato's production accompanied by a number of fantastic artists (mostly Southern) both known and unknown. Jarren Benton, Elz Jenkins, Aleon Craft and Rittz are all included, and in my opinion, these are four of the top up and coming rappers in 2011. Also featured are West Coast artist Mistah FAB (Ghost Ride the whip, anyone?) and Kalenna from Diddy Dirty Money.



Because of my affinity towards Benton and Rittz, the first song I checked out from this mixtape was 'Billon Bucks', and it did not disappoint. If this song doesn't make you want to party, I don't know what will.

In my opinion, the absolute must listen to track on this mixture is Aleon Craft's "I Still Love Her" (listen below). The soul-sample fueled beat is laced perfectly with Aleon's skillful rhymes. This one has been on repeat a LOT.

If you're interested in checking out some songs from T.I.M.E. Volume 3 or download the mixtape, head over to Kato's bandcamp page. You can also find Kato on Twitter.



Beer: Boulevard Saison-Brett

Last week's "Beats" section featured a Kansas City hip-hop artist, so it's only fitting that this week I feature a Kansas City beer. Boulevard Saison-Brett, which is a member of the Limited Release Smokestack series produced by Boulevard, is regarded by many as Boulevard's best beer.

While I haven't had the fortune of trying it yet, I was sure to pick up a bottle when it was released on Kansas City shelves this week. Saisons/farmhouse ales have moved up my list of favorite beer styles over the past few months, and they are especially good beers for warm weather.

But of course, Saison-Brett has a distinguishing characteristic from most Saisons in that it is brewed with Brettanomyces, a wild yeast that can add new levels of complexity to beer. In general, it's not commonly used, but seems to be becoming more popular as breweries continue to experiment with their beer.



Saison-Brett has been given excellent ratings on BeerAdvocate (A) and RateBeer (99).

Boulevard and drinkers of this beer note that this can be cellared for a number of years and maintain it's complexity, but let's face it, I don't have that kind of patience. I'll be cracking open my Saison-Brett tonight, and probably enjoying it out on my patio.

If you spot Boulevard Saison-Brett in your local liquor store, make sure to grab a bottle, because it's a Limited Release and will likely go fast!

Learn more about Boulevard Brewing Company on their website. You can also follow them on Facebook and Twitter.

2 comments:

Drank that last night. I really, really like it. It's better than GD Collette IMO, but the price of the Collette is better than the price of the Saison-Brett. Worth every penny though.

I did enjoy the Colette when I tried it recently. Another good one I had a while back was the 3 Floyds Rabbid Rabbit. Interested to see how SB stacks up!

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More