7/8/11

Beats and Beer Friday

This weeks Beats and Beer Friday selections are centered on two things that have special places in my heart; Nebraska and the local Kansas City hip-hop scene. I went to school at Creighton University in Omaha, so in a way, I consider it a second home. And of course, as a hip-hop fiend, any good local music gets a huge amount of support from me.

Beats: Hozey-T - Who's The New Guy?





Who's The New Guy? is by no means a new album. It was released in 2008, but has remained one of my favorite albums from a local hip-hop artist and still sees frequent play on my iPod. I've been revisiting it since last night, though, because Hozey-T just released his first new song (entitled #WIN, can be downloaded here) since this freshman effort of his dropped 3 years ago.




I won't ramble on about this album, all I can say is that it is really, really good. Hozey-T has an incredibly unique flow that he's able to skillfully customize to whatever beat he's rapping over.

For me, the highlights from 'Who's The New Guy?' include I'm Dope, KC Shuffle, Places To Go, Rise and I'm Made. You can download the mp3 album for only 5 bucks over at CD Baby, so why not make this album your music for the weekend?

You can follow Hozey-T on Twitter, and check out his website.


Beer: Lucky Bucket Certified Evil


I'll admit, when I was in college in Omaha, I was completely clueless when it came to craft beer. Most of what I drank was in cheap 30-packs and had 'Light' in the name. That has changed with time, though, and as I make the trip back to my old stomping grounds, I'm looking forward to stocking up on some of the Nebraska beers that I once neglected.

One of the breweries I intend to get beer from is Lucky Bucket. Lucky Bucket Brewing out of La Vista, Nebraska is fairly new, opening in 2008. They only offer 3 beers (a lager, an IPA, and a Belgian strong ale), but I have been fortunate enough to try all of them. By far, my favorite of the three has been Certified Evil, a Belgian strong ale.

I was able to try Certified Evil at the Parkville Microfest, and was immediately filled with both joy and anger. Joy at how delicious the beer was, and anger at the fact that it's not distributed down here in Kansas City. But finally, my frustration can be temporarily assuaged with my trip up to Nebraska to grab myself some Certified Evil to enjoy at home.

If you are fortunate enough to live in the area where Lucky Bucket distributes, grab yourself some Certified Evil. Otherwise, harass your local liquor store about carrying their products. Maybe if we bother enough people, we can encourage Lucky Bucket to continue expanding their distribution.

You can find Lucky Bucket on Facebook and Twitter. Also check out their website.

Cheers!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More